Resources are Available to FEMA’s Diverse Audience

first_img Free webinar for job seekers on best interview answers, hosted by Goodwill June 11 Support conservation and fish with NEW Florida specialty license plate Please enter your comment! Please enter your name here From the Federal Emergency Management Agency FEMA is committed to assisting survivors affected by Hurricane Irma throughout the recovery process. FEMA encourages you to make your requests known and get the support you need.To date, more than 2.1 million registrations have been received.Asking for and receiving FEMA assistance does not change benefits from Social Security, food stamps, Medicare, Medicaid, veteran’s services and other federal programs.FEMA works with private and nonprofit sectors to facilitate your access to facilities, programs and information. These collaborations occur in conjunction with local, tribal, state and federal governmental partners.Universal accessibility is a priority, and all Disaster Recovery Centers have accessible parking, ramps and restrooms.Languages Other Than EnglishRegistration for disaster assistance is available in several languages whether online or by phone. The registration process is available in English and Spanish at You also may call to register (800-621-3362) where you have a Spanish-language option or may speak to a representative to be directed to an interpreter fluent in your language. Disaster Recovery Centers also have captioned phones and tablet computers to assist in language translation.For Florida survivors, FEMA translates registration and recovery information into 12 languages: Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, German, Haitian Creole, Italian, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Tagalog and Vietnamese. Visit for the postings. FEMA staff are canvassing neighborhoods with a tool to identify your language and then can direct you to appropriately translated resources. FEMA’s library of information on its multilingual website, Resources for Other Languages, contains flyers, brochures, press releases and public service announcements discussing disaster preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation.People Who Are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Have a Speech DisabilityPeople who are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech disability, and use a TTY, may call 800-462-7585 for assistance. FEMA also provides the following resources at Disaster Recovery Centers or during any part of your recovery process:Sign-language interpretersMaterial in Braille and large printAmplified telephonesAmplified listening devicesReading magnifiersFor survivors who use sign language, FEMA has a series of videos that describe important registration and recovery processes in American Sign Language. Go to and use the search term “sign language video” to view them.Non-Citizen Visitors and Qualified AliensNon-citizen nationals or qualified aliens may be eligible for disaster assistance from FEMA. For more information about requirements for eligibility visit and search using the terms citizenship or immigration. Non-citizen nationals receive the same assistance as U.S. citizens under the Individuals and Households Program. Additionally, volunteer agencies provide help regardless of citizenship and immigration status.Participants at Local EventsIf FEMA is participating in a local event that you plan to attend, you have the right to request reasonable accommodations to support your communication needs. FEMA can provide sign language interpretation, captioning and other services if a request is made through the meeting or event host.FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses. The Anatomy of Fear LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply TAGSFEMA Previous articleLas Vegas shooting witness: “It sounded like a thousand shots”Next articleBreaking News: Tom Petty, legendary rocker, is dead at 66 Denise Connell RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.last_img

Leave a Reply

(*) Required, Your email will not be published