1 Tottenham beat Sunderland 1-0 at the Stadium of Light Tottenham picked up their first win of the Premier League season with a 1-0 victory at Sunderland, in talkSPORT’s live game on Sunday.Collecting three points proved a relief for all concerned with the Lilywhites, but there was plenty to concern Spurs fans, not least Harry Kane’s continued struggles in front of goal for the club.So what did Tottenham supporters make of the match?Take a look at this selection of supporter views and let us know what you think by leaving a comment below.
Archives: December 2019
Manuel Pellegrini has refused to guarantee Vincent Kompany a return to the Manchester City starting line-up for Sunday’s Manchester derby.Kompany has recovered from a calf injury but was only named on the bench against Sevilla on Wednesday night as City claimed a dramatic last-gasp Champions League victory.He was also a substitute in the weekend win over Bournemouth having reportedly upset Pellegrini by playing for Belgium against his wishes during the recent international break.Pellegrini insisted that there is no rift between him and the 29-year-old after the 2-1 win over Sevilla, but he admitted his captain is not certain to start against Manchester United at Old Trafford.“We have a lot of different things to think about for the next game,” said the Chilean.“Vincent is just coming back from a long injury that kept him out for a month, and it was probably a risk to give him the responsibility to play in this important game.“Tomorrow we will start thinking about the derby and we will see the way the players recover.”talkSPORT has live and exclusive national radio coverage of Manchester United v Manchester City on Sunday, kick-off 14:05 Manuel Pellegrini with Vincent Kompany 1
1 Manchester City fans Manchester City have been reported to UEFA over their fans’ continued booing of the Champions League anthem.Disciplinary proceedings will now be opened by the European governing body and a charge could follow if it is deemed the club have a case to answer.It is understood the matter was reported by a match delegate after the anthem was jeered by home fans prior to City’s Champions League victory over Sevilla at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday.UEFA is now obliged to consider the matter but this is standard procedure and it does not necessarily mean the club will be hit by sanctions. City have not commented following the development.City fans have regularly booed the Champions League anthem over the past year in protest at the financial fair play punishment meted out to the club by UEFA in 2014.City were fined £49million, hit with a transfer spending cap of the same amount and forced to limit their Champions League squad last season to 21 players rather than the regular 25.Their disgruntlement with UEFA grew when a match against CSKA Moscow in the Russian capital last October was ordered to be played behind closed doors because of the behaviour of home fans. A number of City fans had already paid for tickets, travel andaccommodation and felt they were being unfairly punished.An organised boycott of the anthem was arranged in conjunction with Bayern Munich fans, who had a similar issue over a game in Moscow, prior to a game against the Germans last December. Both sets of supporters turned their backs during the anthem.City manager Manuel Pellegrini this week refused to criticise supporters over the matter.The Chilean was asked before the Sevilla game if the continued booing might be affecting his players in creating a negative atmosphere before games.Pellegrini said: “I think we always have in the Etihad the atmosphere we need in Champions League, Capital One Cup or Premier League. We always feel the fans are behind the team and they always support us a lot.“I don’t think the atmosphere is lower than what we need. It is a good atmosphere.”
1 Arsenal’s back-up goalkeeper David Ospina has returned to training.The Colombian has been out for almost a month with a shoulder problem, meaning manager Arsene Wenger has had to play Petr Cech in all competitions, including last week’s League Cup defeat at Sheffield Wednesday.But Ospina, who was in goal when Arsenal won 2-1 at White Hart Lane in September, is now back in full training and pushing for a place in the squad for Sunday’s visit of their north London rivals.Midfielder and club captain Mikel Arteta is also expected to be involved against Spurs after recovering from an ankle injury which has kept him out since September. David Ospina
Inaki Williams 1 Juventus have moved ahead of Everton in the race to sign Inaki Williams from Athletic Bilbao.As talkSPORT reported earlier this month, Bilbao are close to agreeing a new contract with the winger but that won’t stop Juventus coming in with a bid to meet his buyout clause.According to AS, the Italian club are willing to wait until the summer before making their move for the 21-year-old.Everton have sent scouts to Spain to watch the Spaniard this season and are also likely to submit a bid next summer.However, the Merseysiders will find it tough to compete with the player’s wage demands, while Juventus are more likely to be able to offer the added incentive of European football.Williams is valued highly by Bilbao and boosted his reputation with a sensational goal against Espanyol over the weekend.
Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood insists Spurs have what it takes to win the Premier League this season, despite claims from former defender Sol Campbell that their ‘lack of winners’ might cost them in the title race.Spurs have been one of the most impressive teams in the top flight this season, with the emergence of Dele Alli and the continued brilliance of goal machine Harry Kane helping them to third in the table.Mauricio Pochettino’s men are just five points behind surprise league leaders Leicester City and, with the best defensive record in the league, are very real contenders for the crown.Campbell cast his doubts on Spurs’ title bid in a blog post on Wednesday, saying: “At the moment Tottenham are going along fantastically well and you have to say they have given themselves a chance of winning the Premier League, but they don’t have a lot of winners in their team.“They are a young side with a lot of talent, but they might lack a player who has ‘been there, done that’, the sort of player who will keep everyone calm, focused and believing that anything is possible.”But Sherwood disagrees, and believes their resilience and team mentality could see them lift the coveted trophy come May.“I think they CAN win the league, I honestly believe that,” he told the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast.“I know what Sol is saying, that there are no winners in the team who have proven they have done it before.“But when I won the Premier League at Blackburn nobody had won anything previous to that. So it CAN be done, and they’re looking good at the moment.“Tottenham have been outstanding this season. There is a resilience about their play, when even if they’re not playing too well they fight together and dig out results.”Kane  and Alli  are undoubtedly the stars of Spurs’ show this term, but they aren’t the only youngsters to get the opportunity to shine at White Hart Lane.The likes of Nabil Bentaleb , Ryan Mason  and Tom Carroll  have all graduated from the club’s thriving academy, while young imports Eric Dier , Danny Rose and Kyle Walker [both 25] have developed into first-team regulars.Sherwood was instrumental in promoting youth during his stint at the club, having worked as Under-21 team coach before his own promotion to first-team boss, and he believes Tottenham’s youth policy is key to their upturn in success.“I think Spurs have got it spot on, on and off the pitch,” he added.“They have wonderful players, a core of great youth players who have come through the system.“That’s allowed Tottenham to not rely on spending wholesale on players. They can rely on their youth to come through and then go out and buy one or two players who will make that extra difference for Mauricio.”
VAN NUYS – A 40-year-old woman who teaches in a private home-schooling group has been arrested, suspected of molesting a 14-year-old boy she’s been teaching, police said Friday. Los Angeles Police Department Van Nuys detectives arrested Meredith Johnson Vincent of Van Nuys, a married mother of three, about 3 p.m., said LAPD Capt. Jim Miller. “This woman is a sexual predator,” said Miller, noting the seriousness of the 14-count felony indictment against Vincent. The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office has charged Vincent with sodomy and oral copulation of a person under 16, unlawful sexual intercourse and sending harmful matter. Miller said the latter typically consists of sending a minor sexually explicit photos. “Our concern is there may be other victims out there that used her as a teacher-tutor,” Miller said. Women molesting children is a rare occurrence and when it does occur, it often gets massive coverage by the news media, Miller said. In one such case in Washington state, Mary Kay Letourneau, a wife, mother and school teacher, was convicted of molesting a sixth-grade student. She became pregnant, served time in prison and eventually married the student and had another child with him. Sensationalistic appeal aside, molestation allegations against women should not be taken lightly, Miller said. “We don’t look at it in society the same as a male having sex with a 14-year-old girl, but it can have an equally devastating impact on young boys,” Miller said. Anyone with information about other victims or information related to this case are asked to call the Van Nuys Area Sexual Assault Unit at (818) 374-0090. After hours and on weekends, call the 24-hour detective information desk at (877) LAW-FULL (529-3855). [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Police said the boy’s mother called police after becoming aware that something sexual was going on. The complaint filed by the D.A.’s Office alleges that the molestation took place between Sept. 6 and Oct. 6. If convicted on all counts, Miller faces “substantial time in state prison,” said Sandi Gibbons, spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office. Miller said Vincent’s husband, whose name was not released, has been cooperative with police. Vincent’s bail was set at $550,000. She worked for several people as a part of a home-school group and had contact with other children, Miller said.
DONEGALDAILY.COM WELCOMES ALL VIEWS: THIS WAS THE REACTION OF RUTHANN MOYER:This is a tragedy for the Buncrana Community as well as the Flanagan Family. I have known the Flanagan’s for 20 years and worked for a short time with them. Brian has been a great supporter of the town of Buncrana as well as the citizens for as many years as the business has been in operation. He would willingly take on trainees that had no skills or other qualifications and train them until they achieved a level of competency where they could be paid a proper wage for their newly acquired skills. Whether it was sales or skills for reupholstery, antique restoration or furniture reproduction, quality was the end result.Both Brian and his wife were the impetus behind the ACEP educational program that succeeded in helping employed people from any local business to achieve their long sought after leaving Cert qualifications regardless of their age or station in life. Flanagans, Fruit of the Loom, Clubman Omega and the Glue Factory in Cardonagh all contributed to the expense for their employees to lift themselves up educationally. The classes were run at Scoile Mhura in the evenings and for the year the program functioned, 28 adults sat and passed one or more of their leaving Certs. It was a success. Very few people would know that Brian Flanagan paid tutors out of his own pocket for about 6 months to work with some of his employees at the old factory building. He in essence single handedly provided the funds, the space and the heat and all important tea for the ACEP Pilot program. The program then moved onward and independently as was his intention. In addition, he single handedly saved the Plaza on the Main Street as well. He did the bidding when the facility was up for auction and he, himself, signed the note for the mortgage. The Sunday afternoon dances, the concerts and the formed Committee of local people embarked on the journey of saving one of the town of Buncrana’s landmarks. One purpose; which is still on the table is the development of the Indoor Street Project for local young people at the Plaza.Brian with the support of his family has given Buncrana another reason to be proud of itself. At one time Flanagan’s was the second largest employer after Fruit of the Loom. He gave everyone a chance at training and work. As a former employee I always used to comment that anyone (me included) that worked for Flanagan’s saw to it that the employee knew more at the end of his employment than at the beginning. We need more people like the Flanagan’s in these troubled economic times in which we live. The family supported many causes on the local and national levels. There is not space allowed here to list these, but be assured that Brian and the rest of the Flanagan family will rise as the phoenix out of it’s ashes to serve the community once again.YOUR VIEW: ‘FLANAGAN FAMILY WERE GREAT SUPPORTERS OF BUNCRANA’ was last modified: November 22nd, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:buncranaFlanagan’s Furniture
N’Golo Kante and Moussa Sissoko during France training 1 Juventus will make a move for Leicester City star N’Golo Kante or Newcastle midfielder Moussa Sissoko – after being priced out of a deal for Andre Gomes.The Italian champions have been tracking Gomes since the end of last season, but Valencia have refused to budge on their £40m asking price.?That amount is simply too much for Juve and they have decided to step aside in the race for the 22-year-old, leaving the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United to fight it out.Instead, according to TMW, Juventus will now look to sign either Kante or Sissoko this summer.Kante has a release-clause of £20m in his current contract at Leicester, while Newcastle will let Sissoko go if someone coughs up £21m.Juventus are expected to decide which player they want to prioritise this week, before making a formal offer on Monday.
160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWhicker: Clemson demonstrates that it’s tough to knock out the champKuroda likely will fall somewhere into the middle of the Dodgers’ starting rotation, probably the third or fourth spot. He joins a rotation expected to include Brad Penny, Derek Lowe, Chad Billingsley and Jason Schmidt, assuming Schmidt can bounce back from shoulder surgery last June. The addition of Kuroda probably pushes veteran right-hander Esteban Loaiza to the bullpen. The signing is another coup for the Dodgers and general manager Ned Colletti, who have added Kuroda and power-hitting center fielder Andruw Jones to fill their two most glaring holes without having to trade any promising young players. Dodgers Asian operations director Acey Kohrogi, Japan-based scout Keiichi Kojima and assistant general manager Logan White all were instrumental in landing Kuroda, and all three scouted him in Japan this season. Kojima followed Kuroda intently for the past three seasons in anticipation of his eventual jump to the U.S. The process is believed to have turned dramatically in the Dodgers’ favor after a Nov. 20 meeting in Hiroshima between Kuroda, Kohrogi, Kojima and Dodgers closer Takashi Saito. Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi and manager John McLaren had visited Kuroda in Japan only days earlier. But the meeting with the Dodgers contingent, all of whom spoke Japanese as their native tongues, was later described as very casual and relaxed and designed to build a level of comfort for Kuroda. The Dodgers reached agreement this morning with free-agent pitcher Hiroki Kuroda on a three-year contract believed to be worth between $36 million and $40 million. Two sources with knowledge of the situation, both of whom spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed the deal, which is contingent on the results of a physical examination Kuroda underwent today at Centinela Hospital. Kuroda, 32, spent the past 11 seasons with the Hiroshima Carp of the Japanese Central League, going 103-89 with a 3.69 ERA and pitching 74 complete games in 244 career starts. When he declared free agency in early November and it became clear he was coming to the United States, at least 20 major-league clubs were thought to be interested, with most of them having scouted him heavily during the season. The Kansas City Royals are believed to have offered the right-hander a four-year, $48 million contract. But Kuroda was always known to have a strong preference for the West Coast, and this week it became clear his choices had narrowed to the Dodgers and the Seattle Mariners.