“DISAPPOINTED and shocked,” was Minister Alan Shatter’s reaction to a critical report on conditions at Limerick Prison.The report, which identifies a gang culture, shared slop-out pots, overcrowding, dirty cells and low level intimidation, was published by the Inspector of Prisons, Judge Michael Reilly.Equally disturbed is the Irish Prison Service, whose director, general, Michael Donnellan, confirmed that they are putting an action plan in place immediately.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Minister Shatter says the main focus of ongoing concern is the number of deficiencies previously identified by the inspector and not addressed by prison management.Hygiene and overcrowding must be dealt with immediately, according to the Irish Penal Reform.The report identifies 55 cells without sanitation, which, he says, pose a serious hygienic risk, and he points out that dirty conditions are exacerbated by the smell of sewage.“Slop- out pots have to be shared by some prisoners, and despite that the windows in most cells are broken, the air quality is still inadequate as prisoners tried to block the windows in winter.”Conditions for prisoners held in B division of the prison, on 23-hour lock-down, were referred to by Judge Reilly as “inhuman and degrading”.Goading of prisoners, threats of transfer and referencing ethnic backgrounds were also noted in the report regarding the low-level abuse and intimidation by a small number of prison officers.With immediate effect, the report recommended escorting prisoners in cells with no sanitation to toilets, the repair and cleaning of toilets and urinals, cleaning and repair of equipment in A and B divisions and painting of cells.Other recommendations include: Medical needs of new prisoners to be identified: high support unit for vulnerable prisoners and drug free support unit for prisoners who want to come off drugs.Judge Reilly is also calling for the reopening of workshops and the provision of recreation areas for prisoners in A and B divisions. At the time of going to press, the governor of Limerick prison was unavailable to comment on the report. Twitter Facebook NewsLocal NewsDamning report on Limerick prisonBy admin – January 19, 2012 552 WhatsApp Advertisement Print Email Linkedin Previous articleNine told to move on for anti-social carry on in cityNext articleUp to 85 ‘elderly’ beds for chop admin
WhatsApp Previous articleInvestigation underway into early morning burglary in LetterkennyNext articleGovernment agrees to re-open pubs from September 21st News Highland By News Highland – September 8, 2020 Important message for people attending LUH’s INR clinic Pinterest Bogus callers take substantial amount of cash from elderly man News, Sport and Obituaries on Monday May 24th Facebook Two men are wanted in connection with a bogus caller incident in Lifford. These men took a substantial amount of cash from an elderly man in exchange for tarring his driveway.There was genuine work being carried out in the area on the roads around the time and the two males in question gave the impression that they were involved with these works.The work they carried out was said to be substandard.The incident happened last Thursday between 2pm and 3pm.Garda Claire Rafferty has his appeal:Audio Playerhttps://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/bodfgdgdfggusclip.mp300:0000:0000:00Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume. Google+ AudioHomepage BannerNews Facebook Nine til Noon Show – Listen back to Monday’s Programme Community Enhancement Programme open for applications Twitter Google+ Pinterest Twitter Loganair’s new Derry – Liverpool air service takes off from CODA Arranmore progress and potential flagged as population grows RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp
Nograles also said that the guidelines for this matter will come from the DOH as he vowed that proper handling of personal information should be taken into account in crafting the guidelines. “This is really a public health concern. Nasa state of calamity po tayo at hindi pupuwedeng magsinungaling ang mga pasyente at magbigay ng misinformation,” Nograles said. Drilon was pointing to measures such as the temporary suspension on the deployment of healthcare workers abroad and the disclosure of personal information related to positive cases. “Today, we are confronted with a clash between the rights of the people under the Constitution, and duty and obligation of the state to protect and promote public interest due to COVID 19 pandemic,” the Ilonggo senator said./PN MANILA – Confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) patients who will not divulge key information will be penalized, Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Disease spokesperson and Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles warned. Nograles stressed that it is a must for COVID-19 patients to share accurate information to the Department of Health (DOH) to help the government in its contact tracing efforts and policy directions. Nograles has earlier said that the government has made it mandatory the public disclosure of personal information relating to positive cases of COVID-19 to strengthen the government’s contact tracing efforts. “Concealment is not a government policy. In fact, we want more openness, candor, honesty, and truthfulness here because the more truthful people are, including patients, mas makaka-react po tayo ng tama,” Nograles said. Nograles also cited Republic Act 11332 or Mandatory Reporting of Notifiable Diseases and Health Events of Public Health Concern Act, which states that non-cooperation of persons and entities that should report the notifiable diseases carries a penalty of fine of not less than P20,000 but not more than P50,000 or imprisonment of not less than one month but not more than six months or both fine and imprisonment. Meanwhile, opposition senator Franklin Drilon warned that some of the measures being implemented by IATF in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic could have underlying effects on some rights under existing laws.
Having completed a grueling regular season schedule that pit them against top-four teams on seven different occasions, the Trojans have left no doubt as to which team the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation tournament should field as its No. 1 seed.Defensive · Senior goalie Joel Dennerley and the USC men’s water polo team completed an undefeated record in Mountain Pacific Sports Federation play by holding UCLA to just six goals Saturday night. – Chris Roman | Daily TrojanTo claim this distinction, the No. 1 USC men’s water polo team (20-2, 8-0) needed to win the season’s rubber match against UCLA, after the Trojans beat the Bruins in the NorCal tournament’s championship game 10-8 in September and the Bruins upended the Trojans in the SoCal tournament’s third place game 7-6 in early October.Stationed with UCLA atop the NCAA water polo hierarchy to begin Friday, USC spoiled the Bruins’ regular season finale at the Spieker Aquatics Complex in Westwood, topping its crosstown rivals 9-6 en route to capping its third undefeated MPSF regular season in the last four years.USC started off quickly against the Bruins, posting a three-goal lead at halftime.Freshman driver Kostas Genidounias — USC’s fourth-leading goal scorer with 23 goals this season — continued to make up for the time he lost because of a hand injury by netting two goals, bringing his tally to four goals in the three games since he has returned.Undoubtedly, USC will rely on the Greek freshman to provide secondary scoring throughout the postseason.The Trojans managed to play UCLA to a stalemate in the second half, scoring four goals, but also surrendering four.Senior goalie Joel Dennerley was charged with his first penalty of the season, which resulted in a UCLA five-meter penalty shot, for which Dennerley was prevented from manning his customary position between the pipes.In his place, senior driver Peter Kurzeka, who is mostly known for his prolific scoring and had already deposited two goals into the Bruins’ net, gamely faced the shot, but could not stop it.The penalty accentuated an unusual day for Dennerley, who is usually the centerpiece of any Trojan victory.The native Australian and USC’s all-time saves leader only mustered three saves, mostly because of a swarming Trojan defensive effort, in which USC registered a bevy of field blocks and deflected a number of Bruin shots off cage before Dennerley could corral them.His counterpart, UCLA goalie Matt Rapacz, was decidedly busier, turning aside 16 Trojan shots.With seven different scorers accounting for nine goals against a top-tier team in UCLA, the Trojans’ offense does not lack for weapons entering the postseason.Such a diverse scoring attack has made USC all the more difficult to defend as opposing defenses cannot key in on specific players or designed plays.USC will enjoy a brief respite until Friday, when the Trojans return to the Spieker Aquatics Complex to play their opening round game of the MPSF tournament.With a tournament victory, USC would earn a bid to the NCAA tournament as one of four teams and the likely No. 1 overall seed.Even if USC falters in the MPSF tournament, a strong showing might still earn it an at-large bid to play in the four-team field.